The City of Colwich partners with Sedgwick County in the issuance of building, plumbing, electrical, and mechanical permits. All fees are based upon the Sedgwick County Code Enforcement fee schedule. For the appropriate permit form, click Sedgwick County building permitsEmail the completed form to or fax it to 316-796-0913. We will issue the permit number and call you for payment of the fee. We will submit the completed form and payment to Sedgwick County, which you will then contact to schedule any necessary inspections.

Building permits are required for all residential and commercial structures including detached garages, and storage buildings that exceed 200 sq. ft. Fences also require a permit.

Buildings for storage and other enclosed purposes: provided, that no such building accessory to single and two-family dwelling units and all types of manufactured and mobile homes shall exceed 400 sq. ft. in gross floor area, unless a conditional use is approved by the Board of Zoning Appeals for a larger building. (See Planning and Zoning for an application for a conditional use permit.)

Additional Information

  • Residential building, electrical, plumbing and mechanical and fence permits are issued through the City of Colwich.
  • Commercial building permits are issued through Sedgwick County and are subject to plan review. After plans are reviewed by the appropriate Sedgwick County building inspector a letter will be issued to the applicant to bring to City Hall, at which time the necessary permits will be issued.
  • Contact 660-1840 for further information.
  • Blank permit forms, including electrical, plumbing and mechanical permits, can be obtained from the code enforcement page on the Sedgwick County website.