City of Colwich

Building Permits

The City of Colwich partners with Sedgwick County in the issuance of building, plumbing, electrical, and mechanical permits. All fees are based upon the Sedgwick County Code Enforcement fee schedule. For the appropriate permit form, click Sedgwick County building permits.

Building permits are required for all residential and commercial structures including detached garages, and storage buildings that exceed 200 sq. ft. Fences also require a permit.

Buildings for storage and other enclosed purposes: provided, that no such building accessory to single and two-family dwelling units and all types of manufactured and mobile homes shall exceed 400 sq. ft. in gross floor area, unless a conditional use is approved by the Board of Zoning Appeals for a larger building. (See Planning and Zoning for an application for a conditional use permit.)

Additional Information

  • Residential building, electrical, plumbing and mechanical and fence permits are issued through the City of Colwich.
  • Commercial building permits are issued through Sedgwick County and are subject to plan review. After plans are reviewed by the appropriate Sedgwick County building inspector a letter will be issued to the applicant to bring to City Hall, at which time the necessary permits will be issued.
  • Contact 660-1840 for further information.
  • Blank permit forms, including electrical, plumbing and mechanical permits, can be obtained from the code enforcement page on the Sedgwick County website.
An American Since 1887 City


The City Council meeting is scheduled for the third Monday of each month at 7:00 p.m. at the City Administrative Center, 310 S. 2nd St. Click October 2020 City Council Agenda to see the agenda for the next meeting, which will be available the Wednesday before the meeting.

ORDINANCE NO. 734- An ordinance regulating the placement of signs near the Veterans Memorial

At the October 19, 2020 meeting, the City Council voted to adopt Ordinance 734. Click Ordinance 734 to read the the entire text.


The annual consumer confidence report detailing the city’s water quality is available for review. Click on Consumer Confidence Report for more information regarding this important information. If you know of someone who does not have a computer, please have them call 316-796-1025 and we will mail them a copy of the report.